PDA

View Full Version : Moore's Law to Hit a Brick Wall at 18nm

anon
18.06.09, 18:55
Intel co-founder Gordon Moore once predicted that the number of transistors on an integrated circuit would double every 18 to 24 months, a prediction which has been famously dubbed Moore's Law. But according to market research firm iSuppli, the move to 18nm will signal the end of Moore's Law.

"The usable limit for semiconductor process technology will be reached when chip process geometries shrink to be smaller than 20nm, to 18nm nodes," said Len Jelinek, director and chief analyst, semiconductor manufacturing, for iSuppli. "At those nodes, the industry will start getting to the point where semiconductor manufacturing tools are too expensive to depreciate with volume production, i.e., their costs will be so high, that the value of their lifetime productivity can never justify it."

Moore's Law to Hit a Brick Wall at 18nm | Maximum PC (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/moores_law_hit_brick_wall_18nm)

desodorante
18.06.09, 20:43
There could be a groundbreaking discovery in the next years......otherwise it's the end of the road.

slikrapid
18.06.09, 21:31
well, it has to end (or get modified in another way) someday since its mostly based on using smaller & smaller elements

sometimes other technologies & innovations extend this 'lifetime' but the maneuverability is getting more & more restricted

bbb18
19.06.09, 19:44
I say don't worry, they always discover and invent something up eventually.

alpacino
19.06.09, 21:05
There is also more and more use of parallelism in processors and computing tasks.

desodorante
19.06.09, 22:20
I'm not worried. Besides Intel and I think IBM (not sure now) have prototypes of Molecular processors, using molecules as transistors, working under Quantum physics laws, which will break the binary conception of processors, as there is a positive, negative and a simultaneously positive-negative states in Quantum Physics.
I am not into physics so I might just said an atrocity :biggrin:, but I've read about it several times.