PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding and other users

nishant
12.06.09, 00:37
So I recently forwarded my port on a linksys router using the instructions of portforward.com

here's a SS.

[img=http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8365/routern.png] (http://img196.imageshack.us/i/routern.png/)

When I set it to this option my flatmate's browsing slows down significantly, and he's pretty pissed about it. However, but when change the options so that the port is from "5xxxx" to "5xxxx" (they're the same number), my browsing slows down. How do I fix this port forward so that both my flatmate and I can surf the web quickly while I torrent with an open port?

anon
12.06.09, 00:38
Is 192.168.1.1 the real IP on the pic, or are you concealing it?

Either way, such slowdowns shouldn't happen. Are you sure it's the port forwarding causing them?

nishant
12.06.09, 01:02
Is 192.168.1.1 the real IP on the pic, or are you concealing it?

Either way, such slowdowns shouldn't happen. Are you sure it's the port forwarding causing them?
It's not the real IP.
I'm 100% certain. This issue never occurred before the port forward, and then I un-port forward the problem disappears.

anon
12.06.09, 01:05
I'm 100% certain. This issue never occurred before the port forward, and then I un-port forward the problem disappears.

I'm not a router expert. The only reason I can think of is other peers from a previous P2P session trying to connect to a port you're no longer listening on, and thus slowing you down. I suggest you change the port in your BitTorrent client, restart it, give it five minutes to announce, then close it and power cycle the router - getting a new IP would be the best.

slikrapid
12.06.09, 01:31
192.168.1.1 should be the router IP - you access it by typing the number in your web browser
http://192.168.1.1/ + username/pass

i suppose your internal IPs are ok since you can access the internet

for p2p clients port forwarding is usually necessary to improve their connectivity and it should be done on different ports for you and your mate (i guess he uses p2p too) and assign those ports to each of your internal IPs (192.168.1.101 & 192.168.1.102 for example), so one port per p2p client assigned to the internal IP of the computer running the client

browsing should work without trouble even if the ports aren't assigned, as long as you and your mate have different IPs (like the upper example)

you might also check if your router has some firewall options enabled that may cause slowdowns, just a side note, i'm not familiar with this specific type of router, but these options are generally similar for different devices

shawshankraj
12.06.09, 02:16

YEs it is the router ip for BSNL ISP in india

alpacino
12.06.09, 08:32
YEs it is the router ip for BSNL ISP in india

These IPs are not related to ISPs, but the routers themselves. Some use 192.168.1.1 some even use 10.1.1.1.

kazuya
12.06.09, 10:30
well first thing if one of you download torrent you can't surf quickly :tongue:.except if you use Vuze you limit upload and download to about half so you have still some bandwidth left for surfing.you can also set QoS priority if your router have this option,you just put vuze to priority 255,last.so browsing and everything other is ahead Bittorent traffic,this only works for upload.

about port forwarding,first you must assign static IP to your PC and your mate PC,you-192.168.1.100 and mate-192.168.1.101,you see,two different IP's. now in your router set port for vuze(let it be 50000) and your mate(50001)-it can be also any other number

app(vuze),start(50000)end(50000)protocol(both)IP adress 192.168.1.100-this is for you
app(vuze),start(50001)end(50001)protocol(both)IP adress 192.168.1.101-your mate

but i don't think you both can download torrent with great speeds,one of you will choke other and also to many connection for router to handle,it may disconnect or something like that

anon
12.06.09, 14:00
but i don't think you both can download torrent with great speeds,one of you will choke other and also to many connection for router to handle,it may disconnect or something like that

You're right with that. I'd advice you to set the connection limit rather low (like 40 or even 20, cen get full speed with that myself) and only download/seed 1-2 torrents at the same time. Same goes for the upload speed. With the right settings you can even game online smoothly at the same time you download.

slikrapid
12.06.09, 16:20
limit download to about half

this is extreme and not necessary, major speed problems will arise only when the full (or nearly full) DOWN and/or UP speed is/are saturated (tried with 3 simultaneous users all with some torrent client running with multiple torrents and surfing at the same time - upload was limited but download wasn't; also connections weren't set too high), so you are free to experiment and find out the best options for your case

one more thing - if using xp (maybe even vista, not sure about win7) make sure you apply the tcp patch for increasing the number of connections for your computer/OS (10 --> 50)

anon
12.06.09, 16:31
one more thing - if using xp (maybe even vista, not sure about win7) make sure you apply the tcp patch for increasing the number of connections for your computer/OS (10 --> 50)

You can also use TCP-Z, which patches the limit in memory.