PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft announces "Project Natal" motion controller for Xbox 360!

anon
02.06.09, 19:04
Yes, it's real. Now you'll be able to change a tire... virtually. At E3 today, Microsoft finally took the wraps off the that rumored motion controller we'd been hearing about. Apparently the small, black device -- codenamed "Natal" -- will allow for an astoundingly wide range of actions by utilizing a group of sensors (the box itself sits beneath your TV), and the accessory will be capable of juggling multiple users during a single session. The demo Microsoft showed off included a skateboarding game (replete with a young man "air" ollie-ing), and a family playing a racing game (the dad was changing a tire, the daughter driving).

u2qVwshjaf4

Microsoft announces "Project Natal" motion controller for Xbox 360! (http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/01/microsoft-announces-motion-controller-for-xbox-360/)

splicer
02.06.09, 20:08
Looks very good, but only problem is it's from M$... £30 for controllers, and £60 for a non wireless-N WiFI adaptor, I'm guessing that little black box may not have a little price tag.

SBfreak
02.06.09, 20:31
This is too good to be real!!!!! I can't wait to see how a hack and slash game will work out:biggrin:

alpacino
03.06.09, 23:25
Ow my God, I'm dazzled! Still looking for my chin. Infinite possibilites :tongue:

slikrapid
04.06.09, 19:01
very nice, especially when we can see what can be done :top:

i imagine youtube will be packed with new funny player clips

but still it looks too ambitious:

- voice recognition - not good yet
- scanning like that - not so sure
- movement recognition - hard, we never do things exactly the same
- sensors - there will have to be many i guess, with motion capture too
- female drivers/footballers - that was the marketing playing us a bit :wink:
- web cams with such resolution/frame-rate - upload has to be significantly higher (fiber)

still i would like to see a real prototype demo - this looks like a preview (what could be but still isn't done)

OT:
did you notice how all these new (and some old) ideas/technologies keep increasing our upload requirements (Google Wave, Natal, MMO/games, web cams...), and the ISPs still keep the pipe real tight considering upload :icon_angry[1]:

anon
04.06.09, 20:06
OT:
did you notice how all these new (and some old) ideas/technologies keep increasing our upload requirements (Google Wave, Natal, MMO/games, web cams...), and the ISPs still keep the pipe real tight considering upload :icon_angry[1]:

Until recently, people downloaded more than they uploaded. Due to the audiovisual Web 2.0 (sites like YouTube and Fotolog where users can upload their own material), P2P traffic (which grows and grows :biggrin:) etc., that's slowly stopping to be the rule.

Some providers offer symmetrical plans, or even connections with more upload than download, but I guess those cost more.