PDA

View Full Version : Feedback for changes part I

Rebound
18.05.09, 13:01
Here you can leave feedback for the announcement.

SomeGuy
18.05.09, 23:25
So far I think this is a good way to go. Giving invites to people could be a tricky situation though, some inexperienced people might give them to the wrong people by mistake so then they could end up being banned for bringing up the subject. So I think the criteria for earning the right to give invites should be a little stringent.

Stickbutt
18.05.09, 23:38
So I think the criteria for earning the right to give invites should be a little stringent.

They should also be clearly outlined. A lot of forums seem to have unspoken or ambiguous rules, and this shouldn't be one of them.

mindofthewonderful
19.05.09, 00:13
So far I think this is a good way to go. Giving invites to people could be a tricky situation though, some inexperienced people might give them to the wrong people by mistake so then they could end up being banned for bringing up the subject. So I think the criteria for earning the right to give invites should be a little stringent.

Being open till now, so I don't think there is gonna be some difference if someone invite a staffer from some site. I guess we have here some guys :)
In my opinion it's great to close the borders. Now it's a bit more secure

SealLion
19.05.09, 00:20
I really, really feal that it's important to ask the question:

Where did you meet this potential invitee (to SBI) that a potential invite should be handed out to??

from what kind of forum??
from a tracker??

etc...etc....

anon
19.05.09, 00:20
It has to be someone you trust, think isn't going to break our rules, and deserves to be a part of our community.

Also, I wouldn't advise to invite someone from a tracker - it'd blow your cover :tongue:

Dynamic
19.05.09, 00:38
Also, I wouldn't advise to invite someone from a tracker - it'd blow your cover :tongue:

I think this should be known by all. :tongue:

I assume the invites should go to trusted friends and such but SB-I with its board closed I assume we will be highly needed now which will drive up the invites to the boards.

I can't wait to see more of the changes and see what you guys decide.

:top:

anon
19.05.09, 00:41
I assume the invites should go to trusted friends and such but SB-I with its board closed I assume we will be highly needed now which will drive up the invites to the boards.

That's one of the reasons we're letting guests download some mods and post. :smile:

Also, I can hardly see someone offering an SB-I invite in exchange for Waffles, for example, on a trading board :biggrin:

RUBBER
19.05.09, 00:49
Also, I can hardly see someone offering an SB-I invite in exchange for Waffles, for example, on a trading board :biggrin:

for waffles no :smile: SCT yes :shockkk!::shockkk!:

do not do rigid rules :top::top:

anon
19.05.09, 00:50
Waffles was just an example. I'd reconsider the offer before declining if I was offered unlimited U*-*, F***, ScT, FTN and TTC invites. :cool: [/offtopic]

Regarding rigid rules - rules don't work if they aren't enforced. :wink:

hitman
19.05.09, 00:52
well things like infractions and banns would be shared with the invited member. if you invite someone that is doing damage to the forum you could loose your account. invites would be really only for people that you know.

guests can download now there would be no need to invite someone that is holding 0 posts you would only waste your invite

Se7Ven
19.05.09, 01:00
but i think one point is more mportant than all invites of this world and this are the friendships and the community here on SB-I

yes and when we have luck we can have good invites too

i take a lot of damage and lost many accounts because i am a member here
but what counts at least more in living then friends?

Stickbutt
19.05.09, 02:44
TTC

Has this place even been verified as real? Last I heard, it was an elaborate prank on the level whores.

mmmmm
19.05.09, 02:49
I have many friends cant download any thing before because the closed registration but now its good thing they can download :top:,also invitation system is good now u will be able to know who give bad guys the invitations u know what i means :wink:

Thanks for that

SealLion
19.05.09, 03:12
....... the level whores.

LOL. :smile::biggrin: (having an honest real good laugh)

I swear. At least once a day I get a good chuckle and laugh from some of your guy's posts I read here.

ok, well lets get semi-serious.

A. If I invite some torrent admin to SBI;
B. he joins SBI;
C. convince him to cheat the hell out of his rival's site;
D. becomes a beautifully wonderfully member with a gaz-illion posts to his name;

Would we be allowed to make fun of him b/c he's an admin??

Ok, now let's get truly serious.

IMHO, I think that it would be important to consider [when inviting someone from OUTSIDE from this boardi.e., a person who isn't aware of SBI], not from a trading forum, just like anon touched upon.

There's risk involved in that as there's evidence that some of these invite boards/ trading boards are in co-operation with trackers.

A potentially contacted member at that trading board may be antagonistic towards cheating;
contact the admin on the trading board;
the admin gives the other person's IP to a tracker(s);
that inviter/cheater gets banned from both the trading board and also from a number of his trackers.

basically, he lost everything.

best to invite people from non-P2P related forums such as gaming sites.

This is one of the reasons why I feel its important to ask where the invitee was known from.

Also, will it be required that potential inviters need to ask for an invite from a staff member??
If so, then this would be good news.
If not, then this could be a risk.

I will make a request here that invites are requested from staff by the user, rather than be automatically given out.

Or a short form be filled out by the user where there would be series of short questions asked about the potential invitee.

Mr.unknown
19.05.09, 04:23
I Think That Mr. Rebound bro did a Great Job.. :top:

Now I Can Not Bound from My friends who Missed the Register form this site when i 'ill tell this matter even they may fell jealous :cool2:

'coz I hope that I 'ill get AT LEAST 1 Invitation From This Site except from Other Torrents Site :tongue:

anonftw
19.05.09, 05:06
If I had an invite, I honestly don't know where I would find people to invite.

Dynamic
19.05.09, 05:22
If I had an invite, I honestly don't know where I would find people to invite.

I actually envision SBI to be a very needed site for beta's and newer mods which are available to members before guests so I think the invites will come in handy.

I am with you in that I dont know who to invite but having an option is great.

I vote we become an elite bittorrent site!!!:shockkk!:

:top:

SealLion
19.05.09, 06:11

I vote we become an elite bittorrent site!!!.....

I totally agree.

And I hereby nominate one of my own elements for the FAQ and RULES:

Non-cheaters will be banned!!
We will share your name, home phone number, home address; mailing address; work phone number to harass you at; cell number; text message you even into the next world with numerous spam text;
You will never again be allowed a ratio above 1.0.
For you, the standard ratio will be (negative) - 1.0.

anonftw
19.05.09, 08:07
I totally agree.

And I hereby nominate one of my own elements for the FAQ and RULES:

Non-cheaters will be banned!!

I second this. :top:

MiCRON
19.05.09, 08:18
This is a really good idea. About the invites, it would be nice if there will only be a few to be handed out. Better yet, we can make the invites by request only.

kazuya
19.05.09, 10:08
Well it's a good idea but this i think is mostly because of enough number of members on this board:wink2:
As you notice new register but no use of them,they just come leave one post and never come back.here are just a hand of us that are so,so active so putting this board an invite only is a good idea,board will not lose anything.

And i assume that admin with this invite system wants to draw more attention on this board:klatsch_3: you know,like some trackers,there are a shit trackers but level 9,10 an all want's to get in just because off that:biggrin: Well this is a good board and with invite only it could get very popular,everybody wants to know what we are hiding here :biggrin:

mike
19.05.09, 10:36
I like the idea and can only think of pluses if this is implemented, thanks to the SB-I staff team again! :top:
I must admit I was a little concerned with the tracker admin, yeah you know the one:baeh: lurking about so perhaps increasing border security will hopefully prevent this sort of thing from happening again (who knows I live in hope :tongue:)

Now the question arises as was mentioned previously, who do I invite? :tongue:

Mr.unknown
19.05.09, 11:15
@ anonftw :- LoLz... Good Confusing Question :biggrin:

@ SealLion:- Good FAQ and RULES

And Mine Perception

Board members 've Closed the Registration FOREVER : For Me Its Good

I Think This a "+" Point because Its HARDLY CHANCE TO COME ANTI CHEATERS on THIS Site

And Second

Board Members Should Re-Think Related To Rules in This Site That They must SET

Post to Accessing The USEFUL Tools And Also Set No. Of Hours ACTIVENESS if Any One Of

New Bite Members Do not so Then Remove Them Forever And Ban The IP Also If Possible So

assault
19.05.09, 12:21
it's right decision about inv...even its a late decision

piratepiggy
19.05.09, 13:13
well... I think this is great that we are closed..

Also plz doo remember that giving invites to members who post proofs etc is 1 thing and handing out invites to forums such as these requires a different level of trust :)

hitman
19.05.09, 13:22
well its difficult to hand out invites it could happen that we give them only to a specific member group like advanced user, elite, coder.......... but it could also happen that there will be a request thread where you can request and we will decide if to give the invite or not another possibility could be that only moderators would have invites and members would neet to request them directy with a good reason. there are a lot of possibilitys but again i would only invite known friends because the negative effects from inviting someone that is unknown could be high.

but its good to see that you all like our decisions

SealLion
19.05.09, 14:51
I have had a chance to re-think this idea a bit.

There a number of questions that I have. ONe of them being that non-members can pretty much read the entire board posts and threads.

Quite honestly, there isn't much security in this.

Before logging in, I decided to persuse the board and I could still read what posts there were in each of the board's forums and sub-forums.

I would like to know what would the point be in closing registration, yet allowing members to read what posts there are.

I understand that non-members can post in the support forums for mods and tools.
That's good.

Though for non-members to read the entire board's posts, quite honestly there doesn't seem to be much use to having the registration closed.

Also, what specific boards, other than the support forums, could non-members post in??

I think that this would be helpful in knowing.

DarkSaint
19.05.09, 15:48
imo, this sounds kinda funny, y we need invites to get ppl in?

anon
19.05.09, 15:50
Has this place even been verified as real?

As far as I know it's more of a BitTorrent topsite than a tracker. This new "design" is what got it level 10, since you need Scene access to use it.

I would like to know what would the point be in closing registration, yet allowing members to read what posts there are.

Being able to read information on how to get our different mods and tools up and working, and learn from others' experiences, for example. We're currently thinking which sections guests should be able to read or post on in the future.

imo, this sounds kinda funny, y we need invites to get ppl in?

Because open registrations haven't proven to be exactly helpful when dealing with scammers and leakers.

Mr.unknown
19.05.09, 16:08
@ hitman :- I Objection Regarding To This Invitation System by You..

"well its difficult to hand out invites it could happen that we give them only to a specific member group like advanced user, elite, coder "

I Think Board Members May Give Like GOOD No. Of POST And No. Of Activeness

And Rest Of Point I 'm Agreed

request thread where you can request and we will decide if to give the invite or not another possibility could be that only moderators would have invites and members would meet to request them directly with a good reason.

Like / Suppose/ Imagine My Friend Need Invitation @ Reason Slow Up Speed So hard To

Maintain Ratio Above 1

And For This

the negative effects from inviting someone that is unknown could be high.

First Give Them Warning For Creating Duplicate Account And Ban Them If Possible

And Second

SET The No. Of Given Invitations
Like U Can Get Total 5 Invitations

so I Think Its could be slow Of increasing of unknown register

anon
19.05.09, 16:12
Whom to give invites to, and how many, is a sensitive issue. We're currently thinking what would be the best measure.

Your friend can currently download our mods and read others' experiences. :smile:

Also, our current policy regarding double accounts is an instant ban. It is clearly stated on the rules that each user must have his own account.

Mr.unknown
19.05.09, 16:18
@ Anon Bro I Think Its Also Could Be Stopped RIGHT NOW

May Be Our Useful Mods Like VUZE may be Leak :wink2:

anon
19.05.09, 16:19
The mods available for guests have already been leaked...

hojotrance
19.05.09, 16:26
Better yet, we can make the invites by request only.

i vote for this :biggrin: but you would have to show some proof that the invited user is a "good person" :smile: i

and for me, i don't even know who to invite here..

LongbowArcher
19.05.09, 17:18
Oha, we have a bigger english community as i thought....oO

I think closing the registration is a good idea but i agree with Seal Lion, that the closing make no sense, when unregistered users can read the entire forum! This case have to be reworked by the team!

The invite system....mh...think there should be an thread, where users can post an request. The team, advanced user and elite users can now decide, if the request are accepted oder refused.

At the end of the day, this is a good move in the direction of beeing a elite board for filesharing!

hitman
19.05.09, 19:19
there is no need to rework if there is interest into a members only part where our members want to talk only with other members without guests we can build such a section

LongbowArcher
19.05.09, 20:20
I think, that we need such a section whre only members can read.

desodorante
19.05.09, 20:44
I think, that we need such a section whre only members can read.

I agree. Personally, spliting the site in public and members only areas seems like the best idea. At least it will keep things under control, given the restricted registration system. The number of invites should be low, no more than 20 (IMHO) otherwise people will give them away to absolutely anyone (or exchange them!)

rom08
19.05.09, 23:01
I think you shouldn't close registration or make the forum private.The free registration is the first reason of your popularity and it make the forum very active.By closing it you're risking the slow death of the forum.
For example I have an account at specialmods.eu wich was very active but now it is nearly dead because there i no activity due to the low limitation of the members.

anon
19.05.09, 23:13
I think you shouldn't close registration or make the forum private.

I think no one likes it, but otherwise nothing seems to be able to be done to stop mod theft.

And what do you mean with SM "limiting" members?

mike
20.05.09, 00:06
I like hitmans idea for invites, give to Mods, and limited to Elite, VIP and advanced members:wink2: and have a request thread where other members can request an invite to be determined y/n by mods.

Certain areas of the forum should be members only, like cheating experiences, mod and tool settings/threads and perhaps trade (and giveaway?) threads.

Personally I'd like to see just the "title page" for each tool, mod client available to guests (to attract interest) but not the full thread and all the good information therein, this should be for members only imho!
IRC could be helpful here too.

No doubt SB-I staff will come to some conclusion on how to govern this :top:

hitman
20.05.09, 00:18
I think you shouldn't close registration or make the forum private.The free registration is the first reason of your popularity and it make the forum very active.By closing it you're risking the slow death of the forum.
For example I have an account at specialmods.eu wich was very active but now it is nearly dead because there i no activity due to the low limitation of the members.

you must see that the amount of new members that have 0 posts and only want to download mods is in this community extremly high only a low percent of them is active and i mean maybe 1 or 2%. the way how we are doing it right now have the same advantages like having the reg open only that we dont have all the negative effects. sure its now difficult to gain an invite to the forum but we will give people that really want to be active in this forum the chance.

Dynamic
20.05.09, 00:22
I think agree with making a member only section to keep and test some of the newer mods before they go public.

Ultimately, it is up to the members to keep the site new and fresh and fun. It is hard to govern SBI mods when it is open reg and everyone can leech off and take credit from.

You know this is a bold move, we will have to see where it leads us.

As for invites, I agree with Rebound and Mike in keeping it very high up and have a request section. That way it is much more controllable.

:biggrin:

douche99
20.05.09, 00:48
@mike

Certain areas of the forum should be members only, like cheating experiences, mod and tool settings/threads and perhaps trade (and giveaway?) threads.

Totally agree with that, cause those are the ones where the Tracker admins can "improve" their anticheat/antitrade tactics....definitely read only to member imo

SealLion
20.05.09, 01:15
....t, but otherwise nothing seems to be able to be done to stop mod theft.

anon, having a closed registration isn't going to stop mod theft.

Most of the people here already know who is here with his current account who

1. either doesn't' post at all and downloads mods for his site; or

2. posts very little to convince the current membership that he's not who we think he might be and continues to download mods for his site.

Having a closed registratin system isn't going to be cure.

It'll be a cure for the 90+ % of people who just sign up with no posts and only just download stuff, but it won't be much of a solution for mod/tool stealers. Those guys are already here.
And thier still here.

Certain areas of the forum should be members only, like cheating experiences, mod and tool settings/threads and perhaps trade (and giveaway?) threads......

I don't agree with this mike because how do guests and potential members get experience and ideas on how to cheat successfully including where?? :smile:

Do we leave potential members out in the dark??

I don't think that would be a wise idea at all, mike. :smile:

Someone here mentioned about starting out with a certain number of invites, such as 20 or so.....personnally, I think that's just a tad to high.

Who knows that many people on the net??

What if 20 invites were handed out to 20 people??

I am willing to bet that about 80% of those people will sign up with thier invites and never post. Maybe they will...for a short time and then that's it. No more posting or anything like that.

Then what??

Back to square one, yes??

I still feel strongly that potential members should fill out a short application form with a few wise questions being asked.

Such as how they heard of SBI;
what do they know of cheating;

etc...etc....

Have 'em fill out an application similiar to what PTN does.

Stickbutt
20.05.09, 08:56
In addition to all that's been debated, wouldn't it also make sense to purge inactive users?

douche99
20.05.09, 09:56
I don't agree with this mike because how do guests and potential members get experience and ideas on how to cheat successfully including where??

I understand what you are saying, but still...there is no "experience" to gather in the trade or giveaway section. If they see those sections then they might just want to join to make one post and leave forever like the zero posters in the trading section.

rom08
20.05.09, 12:20
@ anon
At SM we are currently only 300 members and there is nearly no invite and they ban all inactive members. So now there about 30 new posts by month(maybe i am exagerating a little)!!It is very low.
What I mean is not to be too strict because you have the risk to see your forum deserted for another public one.
I think the best method is to have a member section by invitation AND by reward (someone wich have 1000 posts or something else I don't know)and a public one
I know invite system only is the most secure to avoid stealing but you only invite people that you know and so you loose fresh guys with a different way off seeing things.You lost diversity in my opinion wich is one off your strength

SealLion
20.05.09, 14:30
In addition to all that's been debated, wouldn't it also make sense to purge inactive users?

STickbutt, have a look at the members list. You'll see that all posters with 0 posts have had their accounts deleted. The most that you'll see there are people that have at the least, one post.

Probably some of those are also inactive users but from what I see, all users that had 0 posts had thier accounts deleted. That was probably a good thing too as I remember going through the users list a few times and seeing that there were tonnes of users that had no posts at all.

@ anon
At SM we are currently only 300 members and there is nearly no invite and they ban all inactive members. So now there about 30 new posts by month(maybe i am exagerating a little)!!It is very low.
What I mean is not to be too strict because you have the risk to see your forum deserted for another public one...........................

.........You lost diversity in my opinion wich is one off your strength

This is such a good point that it deserves to be noticed.

It was mentioned before, though it wasn't noticed before a page or 2 back.

So you guys closed registration to the public.
Ok, that;s fine, then.
But take into consideration this point as well.

Here's a way around this potential problem.

Firstly, I don't think that an invite system will work at all. IT just won't.

If someone wants to join, they'll ask to join.
They'll click on a link on this site and ask to join. Invites aren't going to work.
IMHO, they just won't.
Where are you going to go to invite someone here??
AT an invite forum??.........I don't think that's workable.
How do you know that the guy your going to invite isn't a moderator eleswhere??
YOu don't. Plain and simply put.

Secondly, If someone wants to be a cheater, they'll come here,yes??
They're not going to go to an invite forum and ask to be a cheater there, yes?

that doesn't make sense.

I' ll say it again.
If someone want's to be a cheater, they'll come here.

That's the only sure-fire way for anyone of us to know that someone else want's to become a cheater: By signing up some application form here.

They'll click on some link that'll take them to some short application form that has some well thought out and intelligent questions, such as:

Theres are examples only.

How did they first become aware that cheating is an alternative to gaining a decent ratio??

What other cheating boards, other than SBI, are they aware of??

what is their opinion of mods being stolen and not given credit for to the original author??

ARe they staff member at a torrent site??

IF so, this should NOT hinder their application to here. As a matter of fact, I think that this would certainly add to the forums userbase with respect to opinions and ideas given here.

Why have only a cheater's perspective??

Intelligent conversation can be had with a staff member from a torrent site.

You get the idea overall though??

Invites might work, but they won't be effective.

Having an invite system is not going to be as effective as you guys might like it to be.

They might work, but the new system that you guys are thinking of implementing won't be as effective as you'll like it to be.

Its the difference between sitting behind the steering wheel and actually driving the car versus only just sitting behind the steering wheel.

You need to think about a number of questions:

Where specifically will you go to hand out invites??

seriously, think about that for a moment.

What about a potential dead forum??

Do you want that to happen??

Right now, I think ( correct me if I'm wrong), if your account isn't active for 90 days or so, it's deleted, yes??

that's fine.

And that's a good way to get rid of non-posters too.

I'll tell you right now. If I am potentially handed out invites in my profile, I probably won't use them.

from experience, I know that when I handed out invites to torrent sites those invites were never used.

I would expect the same here. If I hand out an invite to hear, the invitee might become curious, join, though hardly if ever post.

Basically, my invite was a waste. Just like my invites in the past were wasted invites to that torrent site.

Thats how I feel about this issue.

anon
20.05.09, 22:32
anon, having a closed registration isn't going to stop mod theft.

Most of the people here already know who is here with his current account who

1. either doesn't' post at all and downloads mods for his site; or

2. posts very little to convince the current membership that he's not who we think he might be and continues to download mods for his site.

Yes, that's right. Potential mod stealers most likely still have accounts here, but with our closed registrations they're getting shot one by one. It's now no longer possible to simply reregister, and SBI-exclusive mods (such as B18_Rev1 of the Extreme Mod) remain SBI-exclusive.

I don't agree with this mike because how do guests and potential members get experience and ideas on how to cheat successfully including where?? :smile:

We thought about this and it's a delicate issue. Maybe there will be a guest area where they'll be able to share experiences with each other there. We could copy things like the tracker cheating Tables, and that'd give them some info to bootstrap with. This is one possibility.

wouldn't it also make sense to purge inactive users?

That has already been done.

like the zero posters in the trading section.

Remember some people may have "zero" posts because those made in the Invite Trading area don't count.

I understand what you are saying, but still...there is no "experience" to gather in the trade or giveaway section.

I'll give you that one. We're currently reconsidering whether they should remain open to everyone.

That's the only sure-fire way for anyone of us to know that someone else want's to become a cheater: By signing up some application form here.

But what's to prevent him from lying? A leaker could write that he's totally against our mods being ripped off and profited from, and a tracker admin that he simply isn't one.

I remember someone posted here that 80% of things on his PTN application form were lies, and his profile links and speedtest stolen, and he managed to get in.

I think you're right with invites often collecting dust (20 invites? This isn't IPT) - but this has its downsides as well. Based on the sent forms, we could end up inviting a leaker, for example, and all effort goes to hell.

You said it yourself - he could even post from time to time to convince us he's not what we think.

Don't get me wrong, though - your idea has a lot of potential. :top: But we'd need to either make some good questions or be [even more] selective with who we invite in.

Right now, I think ( correct me if I'm wrong), if your account isn't active for 90 days or so, it's deleted, yes??

It isn't deleted but locked. You can use the "contact us" link at the bottom for us to reenable your account.

DarkSaint
21.05.09, 00:06
an issue on who do u invite? How can we trust them?

SealLion
21.05.09, 01:28
wEll, I don't know what other ideas to bring up then.

Other than to repeat myself by suggesting that invites are just going to grow mold on them and that they're basically going to become useless.
AT least that's how I would see it.

I know that others see it differently, but the more I think about it, the less effective I see this whole idea becoming.

now you mentioned that mod stealers are getting shot down one by one. Ok, great.
But there's one thing here that's been overlooked.
Mods can still be downloaded by non-registered users, yes??

Again, it hasn't become effective the way that I think you guys would like to see it.

It's either:

never register, download mods, and have mods stolen

Or....

forced registration, download and post.

or....

forced registration, download mods, never post.

but then if you do the second one, I think that you risk having a poor userbase with respect to numbers, the forum will become dead.

At least that's how I would see it if it goes that way.
I don't think anyone here wants to see that, yes??

I don't know......I really don;t know what to think.
\

Having gotten rid of all the non-posters/zero posters was a step in the right direction.

The registration being closed was a fair idea too, though now you guys are wondering about if invites will work....I honestly just don't believe that they're going to work.
I really dont.

It;s not so much a matter of trust of who you invite here, as that can equally be applied to what we have here right now with our current userbase.

I mean how do you guys know that someone here...anyone for that matter , isn't a member of some other board and hands of mods there??
( and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, it's merely an idea being expressed and not strongly suggesting that this is the case either. It probably isn't. At least we hope it isn't)

But anyways...YOu just don't. You don't know who is.

Basically, your still on square one on that element.

And about the questionaire thing...well, I don't know what to suggest other than to have a multiple questionairres (as oppossed to just one perhaps) set-up so as to prevent leakage on that which therefore risks cheating on 80% of the questions.

And if your selective with who you invite in....well, that's not a bad idea. I think that would be 'ok'.

Though ask yourself this question:

If we were selective, would that permit a positive change in userbase growth or would that stunt userbase growth??

I'm basically try'in to get you guys to think critically on this and not just to think and do and have very little effect on what-ever actions are going to take place on it.

anon
21.05.09, 01:36
now you mentioned that mod stealers are getting shot down one by one. Ok, great.
But there's one thing here that's been overlooked.
Mods can still be downloaded by non-registered users, yes??

Those mods have already been leaked, and therefore we'd be doing more harm than good if we withheld them. We plan to make new mods members-only.

And if your selective with who you invite in....well, that's not a bad idea. I think that would be 'ok'.

Yes, of course. :smile: Receiving a filled application form doesn't mean we have to accept the new member - the final word is up to us.

If we were selective, would that permit a positive change in userbase growth or would that stunt userbase growth??

It depends on how things go. But a lot of people will try to apply for a membership, that's for sure.

SealLion
21.05.09, 01:47
It depends on how things go. But a lot of people will try to apply for a membership, that's for sure.

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes up with all of this then.

but I would earnestly suggest that you guys think about the future of this place as what-ever actions are taken place will have some consequences, either good or bad.
Maybe a mixture of both.
Who knows.

But just be aware of this. You mentioned that new mods are being developed for members only.
Ok, great.

Though what will happen if member 'A' joins, leaks the mods, pretends he's not leaking them and continues to post like he's just a regular guy.
Then what??

I guess like DarkSaint suggested: It's a matter of who you trust. But then, that trust could turn into lies, yes??

anon
21.05.09, 02:00
but I would earnestly suggest that you guys think about the future of this place

You can be sure we do.

Though what will happen if member 'A' joins, leaks the mods, pretends he's not leaking them and continues to post like he's just a regular guy.
Then what??

It won't be as easy as that. And as a lot less people will have access to members-only mods, it'll be easier to narrow down on the leaker.

SealLion
21.05.09, 02:44
But how will you be able to narrow down the leaker??

The leaker could sign up with a username completely different to where he originates from.

actually, wait....better not tell.
Don't wan't to know secrets that'll be leaked to people who don't need to know b/c everyone reads this.

I know what your thinking, anon.
Your thinking that there'll be someone who always downloads every mod that's in the members-mods only area, yes??

But you'll still have difficulty narrowing down that info.

How can you tell if someone always downloads every single mod??
YOu can't.

Anyways......

I'd like to touch upon a subject that me and rom08 (originally him, actually) already brought up and that is the potential for this place, as a result of having a lot less users, to go down in membership numbers.

So here's some questions to ponder cuz I'm thinking the same things:

#1 Is it best to have a handful of members that post frequently ( strictly as a result of having a closed registration system), where the post quantity and quality remains at its current status and where the potential of opinions may be limited as a result of having a limited registration system. And where you have to expect the known fact that users do eventually (as time goes by) diminish in quantity as a result of IRL issues taking precedence or other elements not previously foreseen. As the userbase diminish's in quantity, so also does the forums usuage.

#2 Because it's a closed system, is it reasonable to expect that people will, or may, attempt to not further their efforts to seek entry into here, thus bringing about the issue of a lack of the forum's usage??

douche99
21.05.09, 16:55
But how will you be able to narrow down the leaker??

Well, I think that is already possible, when you have to hit the thanks button to view the pw to unrar the files. Dont know if it is on every mod, but on quite a few.

So maybe extending it to all files would be helpful narrowing it down.

rom08
21.05.09, 17:03
Thanks for this one SealLion.
My point is that people I relly trust think the same way as me(most of) and so I don't have lots of subject to discuss 'cause I agree with them.To debate and have a good usage of your forum you need people who aren't always agree with you and they are often people you doesn't really trust.I don't want to come here to say thanks for a new mod post some stats and nothing else.
This is the problem of SM when someone post a subject most of the time I have nothing more to add so the discussion is really short.It is something that can happen here.
What about people wich doesn't know anyone who can give them an invitation?
When I first came here and maybe still now I didn't know someone who trust me enought to invite me!
Free registration is diversity .You have this way worldwide members(I'm from France,Xixifranck is from China,SealLion is from Antartica ...),different culture and so different way of thinking and that's it that make your board really attractive.
When I came here first the most subject were in German but now it is not anymore the case.I think it is because of free registration(and of course because of your mod and reactivity for support).
If you're too strict someone will create another board with free registration and most of your users might leave and you might die slowly.
So please be just very carrefull it is very hard to decide.
Anyway i think there is no perfect decision there is only a less worst one

slikrapid
21.05.09, 19:29
some thoughts & ideas:

- closing registration & invite only (limited to Mod/Elite/VIP/...), deleting old, 0-10 posts after 2 weeks after activation, warnings for users with low post count if their posts are useless and aimed just to pump up the number

results:

- less leaking (and diminishing after some leaker gets caught), less inactive users
- lower user base - a minimum number of users needed to run the site (costs,...) should be roughly calculated + a few percents more to be on the safe side
- mass PM to all users not to spread mods around and what are the consequences
- info for non members who visit the site about the reasons for closed registrations suggesting to them to be patient and wait until the leak problem is solved
- verified leakers - record their IP, ISP, usage pattern, posting pattern, which leaked mods, where they posted it for non members, watch for accounts opened at close time period to those of leakers (again, similar IP/ISP,...)
- maybe: not allow IPs for one user to go outside of his ISP range, at least for registration & downloading mods

problems:

- if leakers have a large number of accounts here it will take time to identify them
- methods that can identify leakers should be really accurate so that every mod leak results in one account ban. i think this is the major issue: if you can't positively identify the leaker then all this discussion doesn't matter much and the results won't be adequate enough

how about this idea:

maybe every new mod should have a hidden ID number that can be linked directly to the member who downloaded it so when his mod leaks in the public and you get it from some other site, perform an ID check and see exactly who is the member responsible for the leak. this ID should maybe be encrypted and hard to find within program code. maybe it could be placed on different locations within the code so if a leaker is able to identify some of these hidden ID's, he won't be certain how many more are there; or embed these ID's in such way that the mod can't work without it

problems (continued):

- this doesn't solve tracker admin presence here, since they don't have the need/intention to spread mods among users, but rather to investigate how to track the mods/cheaters
- future members who might help won't be able to get inside; and the question is how would they prove themselves in the first place

if i understood it correctly mod 'theft' isn't a major problem in itself, but those who falsely take credit for creating mods or profit from sites that spread them around are

some comments on other user ideas:

- application form: works only on noobs, experienced users/admins/leakers will give smart enough answers and will get inside; nevertheless some contact form should be available for future users or those that are interested
- invite system: good for controlled increase of the user base (if necessary), if some member thinks another non-member would help the site in some way he can talk to staff (the only ones who can invite) about it
- every new user should prove himself in some way before getting access to mods: this could increase time between new possible leaks, it could be a month of proving time for example

SealLion
22.05.09, 04:11
every new user should prove himself in some way before getting access to mods

So how do you prove yourself as a new member here before getting access to new mods??

I didn't have to prove myself when I first joined.
Why should someone else??
Why should you have to prove yourself to have access to anything here??

I mean, maybe we've all got to prove ourselves to get access to new mods then.
I don't use that many, anyways.

I just use what I want and even then, that's a small number. Sometimes even the ones I do download I dont even bother using as I find that I don't like them.

maybe every new mod should have a hidden ID number that can be linked directly to the member who downloaded it so when his mod leaks in the public and you get it from some other site, perform an ID check and see exactly who is the member responsible for the leak.

That isn't such a bad idea.

It'll take a lot of work I imagine but then if staff and coders are concerned about leaks, I guess you'll have to do what's necessary then.

And about the invite thing again.

Here's what I was thinking yesterday.

Some guy want's to get in, he PM's a dozen or so guys to improve his chances.

He gets in b/c he PM'd lots of people to increase his chances.

Well, that doesn't work.

That's why I was suggesting that new people PM the SYSTEM, not the people.
The system is the controlling factor.
It'll have a record of his IP ( and even hopefull his MAC address too, though I'm not familiar with the 'how-to's " of that. Leave that to others, I guess )and inform him that he's already PM'd the System to apply.
Staff will answer the request and send out an application form.

It could be one of a few questionairres...say from 3-4 with, like I mentioned earlier...well thought out questions.
Intelligent questions.

Not useless questions like "What trackers have you cheated at?"...Who cares about that, yes??

I think that you'll agree with me there, that useless questions like the above are made for the garbage.

.....if you can't positively identify the leaker then all this discussion doesn't matter much and the results won't be adequate enough

That I agree with.
If the leaker can't be identified correctly, then we might as well call it a day.

- .....application form: works only on noobs, experienced users/admins/leakers will give smart enough answers and will get inside

Ya. I think I can see your point there.

Though again, I'd like to see it in a more positive light.
I'd like to think that it's questionairre conditional with respect to the quality of the question.

Maybe there could be a time limit on completion of the questionairre/ application form. Let's say......2 hours. I don't know. I'm just throwing some figure up in the air.

....deleting old, 0-10 posts after 2 weeks after activation

I don't think that, that would be entirely fair.

What if the guy goes on holiday??
Has an accident??
Gets pregnant??
Has a baby??
Has IRL issues to solve??

The idea that you've brought up is worthy of discussion, for sure.
How about incorporating your idea like this?:

UPon signing up, have the new user be made aware that after 30 days ( of signing up), new and inactive accounts are inactivated or deleted.

How about that??
It shares and incorporates your idea.

maybe: not allow IPs for one user to go outside of his ISP range, at least for registration & downloading mods

This isn't such a bad idea either. Prevents use of proxies by user.

gianuzio
22.05.09, 09:53
i'm really sorry , but i dont understand exactly the reason for this change in the politics of this site... please can somebody tell me ?

vDD+wR
22.05.09, 10:18
No problem, the whole situation is not as simple as it could be explained in a few words.

Basically it was a measure to stop the leaking of our mods on several other websites and stopping people who weren't participating in the board's life but just signed up to be able to download/ use the mods.

You can read about it here: http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?threadid=7570

slikrapid
22.05.09, 18:26
So how do you prove yourself as a new member here before getting access to new mods??

by using and commenting on already leaked mods, or those that at the time don't have a brand new version
by making meaningful/decent posts on other forum sections
by being fair traders of accounts/invites even though this could be restricted too

using the maximum points available for a day their progress can be balanced to avoid overposting

and remember the longer new users have to wait for brand new mods --> the wider the time period until new possible leaks occur, provided that during closed doors time all leakers have been detected

Maybe there could be a time limit on completion of the questionairre/ application form. Let's say......2 hours.

and when the questions leak (even if more versions are made) no time limit will matter

I don't think that (deleting old, 0-10 posts after 2 weeks after activation), that would be entirely fair.

ok, i was just throwing figures there

UPon signing up, have the new user be made aware that after 30 days ( of signing up), new and inactive accounts are inactivated or deleted.

i can agree with that with the addition of a defined inactivity (1 post in 30 days, or 10 posts or something else)

hitman
22.05.09, 19:35
im surprised about all the great ideas. keep the good work guys :top:

SealLion
23.05.09, 04:11
OK, some decent ideas there. One thing I would also like to touch upon of which I just thought of was a new user-level name for new invitees/ new users, regardless of what method is employed for granting them access to the forum.

I was thinking of a new user-level name such as 'Invitee'....or something like that. It's just an idea, of course.

The reason for such a new user-level title is for the simple observation of that new invitee by the regular members of his/her posts, behavior, etc...etc...

Basically, one infraction and the person is out. Or maybe 2 infractions...what-ever....those are just some numbers too.

Anyways....you see, I'd hate to see another 'fingertip' here on the board. And I think other's wouldn't take so kindly to an arrival of his sorts again, even one who's attitude and behavior goes off the board.

His attitude was beyond asinine.
What a demented, malevolent, socially-retarded fool.

You see, if the new user to the board should behave as 'it' did in the short time that, that new invitee has been here, then at least there's a quicker, if not more so a real legit reason for moderators to act appropriately.

Th e new user would retain that new title for lets say.....30 days or so....a kind of probationary period, yes??
Or maybe 45 days....

But I do have to comment on the method of access to this board.

That I believe, is still a matter of discussion. Regardless of whether it's Elite, regular staff, what-ever....t hat does the actual permission-to-access- the-board thing.

I mean, there still has to a be a method. It's not just a simple matter of giving it to the responsibility of a select few to determine how, yes??

So your suggesting that application process is flawed.

So is the regular invite method.
Handing out invites to a select few or everyone.

All of a sudden, you, me, and half a dozen other people will find their PM boxes full with a request from the same person.

I think that the following idea was touched upon before:

New users, would have access to a limited board.
Very limited in fact.

After a probationary period has come and gone, then access to the regular board.
This could be accomplished by having open registration again.

Allowing free access to a limited board.

For both posting and viewing

Maybe even disallow access to the invites section until lets say .....50 posts or 75 posts.
Agian, just some ideas and numbers.

sisonvher
23.05.09, 04:37
Yeah,, good,, thanks to all Moderator here and in any other staff's here,, cause you didn't delete my account here on SB-I,, lol,

Ive been inactive for a month cause my ***damn mother CUT OUR INTERNET CONNECTION!!!! >.<,,,

yeah by the way,, its good now,,, and more power to SB-I!! ,,, thanks

mike
23.05.09, 19:44
Irrespective of whether this becomes an invite only community or making the registration process more stringent there will always be the risk of mod theft. Im sure we can all agree on that. The thing that we need to work out is how to minimise this risk.

Looking at it another way, if there was a way of uniquely tagging each mod/tool with an id and logged with the ip of the downloader perhaps this behaviour can be curbed.
Linking the stolen mods/tools id with the corresponding ip via logs would finger the public releaser.
Whether or not this is possible or even feasible is another matter. And even if possible it still doesn't eliminate the risk of theft, it just makes it alot more hazardous for the thief! :tongue:

piratepiggy
25.05.09, 19:50
maybe every new mod should have a hidden ID number that can be linked directly to the member who downloaded it so when his mod leaks in the public and you get it from some other site, perform an ID check and see exactly who is the member responsible for the leak.

This idea is awesome. I hope this gets implemented :cool:

I still think it's great we have closed registrations. I mean agreed they are still ppl there who are committed to leaking the mods but as anon said we can get them one by one. This way over time we might finally become the community with all trusted members.

Also the invite system is awesome. Very very few invites handed out to elite members and vip members only and they should decide carefully who to invite.. other members can post in a thread requesting invites from them.

As I said before if u want to invite ur friend to this forums u NEED to have a DIFFERENT level of trust with him. Nobody in the whole internet knows I cheat. Not even some of my real life friends (who use sbs :D)

And regarding inactivity.. I think the obvious reasons are

1. The most VALID reason PPL don't want to be active here coz of fear of getting caught. Some lurkers might notice a pattern of talk of a member here and the tracker forums. This is justifiable and we can't expect much activity here UNLESS we make a separate section for members only and make it private/unreadable by outsiders.. In fact the whole forums shud be unreadable IMHO

2. Language barrier.. Most of the forums is german language. Maybe this is a deterrent?

3. People by nature are lazy and selfish and greedy? :biggrin: they don't care abt these forums that much and are only here for the mods..

I personally am not active here coz I am not active on any forums :smile:

anon
25.05.09, 19:54
2. Language barrier.. Most of the forums is german language. Maybe this is a deterrent?

I think that was a problem in the past, but currently the english area is currently growing at a fearsome rate. :top:

3. People by nature are lazy and selfish and greedy? they don't care abt these forums that much and are only here for the mods..

That's indeed the case for some users - we have pruned about 9000 zero-poster accounts.

piratepiggy
25.05.09, 20:05
I think that was a problem in the past, but currently the english area is currently growing at a fearsome rate. :top:

That's indeed the case for some users - we have pruned about 9000 zero-poster accounts.

Yes. The english forums are really growing in size. :cool:

A request to the staff to consider all the brilliant ideas in this thread.. Mainly

1) Making forums private or at least a section private

2) Implementing the hidden key thing to catch leakers.

3) A Rigid invite system

ALL very good ideas IMHO

DraconLord
25.05.09, 22:16
So far I think this is a good way to go.

SealLion
26.05.09, 05:02
I noticed that some of you guys are mentioning about the German part of the forum.

I really, really believe that it's important to always recognize that it was originally a German-based forum and quite honestly, I hope that it remains a very strong and integral part of the forum.

Yes, the English language forum is growing....monstrously in fact.

A lot of my internet friends here on this forum are from either Germany or Austria.

And this should not be seen as a deterrent. :smile:

The chief moderator here is German and so are the majority of the other moderators.

Though I don't believe that any of you were suggesting that it remains a deterrent, :smile: most likely just thinking that it may have been in the beginning for some of you. :smile:

EDIT:
A request to the staff to consider all the brilliant ideas in this thread....

This'll be obvious. Since the thread was started.

So when is 'decision-day", then??

Dynamic
26.05.09, 05:14
I would say that the international appeal of this mod is what keeps it unique. I like seeing people from other parts of the world participate in the threads! :top:

As for the hidden key proposed, I think that Mike said it best is to make it more dangerous for thefts.

I think all that is purposed is good and will have to be tested before it goes official though as there are bound to be hiccups.

hitman
27.05.09, 01:49
I noticed that some of you guys are mentioning about the German part of the forum.

I really, really believe that it's important to always recognize that it was originally a German-based forum and quite honestly, I hope that it remains a very strong and integral part of the forum.

Yes, the English language forum is growing....monstrously in fact.

A lot of my internet friends here on this forum are from either Germany or Austria.

And this should not be seen as a deterrent. :smile:

The chief moderator here is German and so are the majority of the other moderators.

Though I don't believe that any of you were suggesting that it remains a deterrent, :smile: most likely just thinking that it may have been in the beginning for some of you. :smile:

EDIT:

This'll be obvious. Since the thread was started.

So when is 'decision-day", then??

we started with the intention to have an equal german/englisch part but in the beginning the german part had compared to the english part more active members. but well things changed and now both are well visited.

we still dont have any decisions at the momet :tongue: we have to think carefully about it but this thread contains a lot of usefull input that could be used.

SealLion
27.05.09, 05:49
Ok, I have a way, way, waaaaay better idea than anybody here.

My latest idea trumps that of mine own and even that of others.

We could convince mod stealers and other nasties to take a real-life beautiful woman in exchange for one of the mods that they stole from here.

Such beautiful women, we would always have on immediate stand-by for immediate delivery and exchange. :biggrin::smile:

I propose some of the real-life beautiful women that I have in my closet for just such emergencies and cases.

Here's a sample of what's in my 'emergency-supply' closet:

LOok:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6435/glamouronetrueportraitss.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8323/glamouronetrueportraits.jpg

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8323/glamouronetrueportraits.jpg

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8323/glamouronetrueportraits.jpg

The one in blue is the cutest. I would advise 2 (stolen mods) for 1 (girl).

I even have a selection of red-heads.

Look:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/2613/portraitstrueportraitsc.jpg

You can't convince me that these supplies can't convince all the nasties to give up stealing from the coders, yes??

Please make your selection below.

Request back-up of real-life beautiful women in exchange for offer of stolen mods returned?

Yes________________
No_________________

Take delivery of REd-heads, too??

Yes__________

No___________

HOw many do you wish to take delivery of??

douche99
27.05.09, 14:34
Dont wanna complain, BUT only one pic is showing up on my end of the connection ... might want to fix that:top:

edit: getting them now too.

anon
27.05.09, 14:56
All of them appear here. :cool:

lemongreentea
27.05.09, 16:33
Hope this will keep off unwanted people off the site.

reaper
28.05.09, 15:09
Hope this will keep off unwanted people off the site.

what type of unwanted people? spies,spammers?. Closed registrations and invites are okay with me as long as everyone starts off with 2 invites :biggrin:

splicer
28.05.09, 15:47
He means mod leakers - people distributing, and in some cases calling, the mods available here as their own. But this would also mean private tracker staff will find it harder to get in, as well as scammers in the invite/account trading sections.

SealLion
29.05.09, 01:46
what type of unwanted people? spies,spammers?. Closed registrations and invites are okay with me as long as everyone starts off with 2 invites :biggrin:

You sure would've helped yourself if you read the thread.
Most especially the first post and the link to 'New Situation' that's listed on the login page.

and why are you so keen on getting invites to hand out for this place??

Dynamic
29.05.09, 05:55
I don't think the mod stealer's would care about women...they are too busy hacking the mod and don't have time for women!

I would take the 2nd woman in the picture though...something about what she is wearing that makes my think naughty thoughts...

Dark Knight
30.05.09, 13:56
hehe..Folks..i am really Enjoying SB-i now.....As now no more newbies :sm61: are here Only trusted Members ( Friends :troest:)..:smile:

@ Sealion ... Good Comic idea ..& the girl in Blue seems too hot to handle:Lets_do_it_wild:.:biggrin:

About Changes, well i am very happy with them ..no spies , no spammers.

and About your Invitees , well u cant trust Even ur friends buddy, one of my friend betrayed me For ScT Invite.

So if your invitees Screws here ..i think u must not Be banned :disabledbig7ly: like on other forums , though infractions/restrictions:twak_2: must be Imposed on you.

regarding criteria for Invites, it must be fabricated keeping in view the perspective of the pirateers/cheaters.

well Lets Wait & Watch what happens...:smilie_prost:

SealLion
31.05.09, 03:12
well folks. Sometimes it helps to liven things up a little with a bit of humor. Regardless of the type.

Anyways....I haven't seen any newer ideas listed here lately by any others which makes me curious with the notion that there are no more ideas to put forth by anyone else.

IMO, there are fallacies with just about every idea put forth. This includes some of the ideas that I"ve put forth as well.

None of the ideas placed herein are perfect.
Some are workable and some,,....well to say it bluntly....just aren't.
Plain and simply put.
And that goes probably for one or 2 of mine own. I don't know......

I will state herein my opinion on the 'mod-stealing' effort of others:

Quite honestly. I don't believe that it can be accomplished 100%.
I really don't.
There's work-arounds for just about everything. This I am sure of.

And all that's said after some thought on this entire subject.

It can be perhaps limited, though to what extent....I don't know.

I guess there's only one way to find out.

If this thread is going to continue with it's current subject (no not the women, ....the original subject :biggrin::smile:) and taking into consideration the following events that have occured:

1. Registrations have closed, yes??
2. All forums are still open and readable to 'guests', yes??
3. Mods can still be downloaded, yes??

Therefore, I personnally favor the following ( at least for the time being until this "what to do about mod-stealing" thing is resolved):

1. Close forums partially.
Keep support forums and associated sub-forums open to guests.

2. Allow downloading of mods to outsiders and access to associated support forums as mentioned above.

Closing all forums to all guests will only harm this site.
This I strongly believe.

People will flock to Seba's site and other mod sites. They will get heaps of credit for remaining open. Never mind new mod releases. That's not what I'm talking about here.

Others will have their own suggestions on what to do in the interin. I'm just stating mine.

Dark Knight
31.05.09, 10:20
i Agree with u Sealion..

Well we are yet literally Open to users as almost all forums are available to them...

yes limiting the access of unregistered users to only some forums , would be good.

Coz the more we put the restrictions on unregistered users , the more will be their curiousity to get into SB-i.

let Them make Feel that what They have missed by not becoming a member here...
SB-i Must increase its Worth.:top:

And ya, we Must Stick to the Original Topic & not to the Women....folks:biggrin:

anon
31.05.09, 19:13
yes limiting the access of unregistered users to only some forums , would be good.

Coz the more we put the restrictions on unregistered users , the more will be their curiousity to get into SB-i.

But SealLion is right - if we push it too much, people will just turn to seba. Allowing guests to only download the already leaked mods and access the support sections sounds fine, though.

7777th post :tongue:

nishant
02.06.09, 04:01
At least the newer mods should be restricted (e.g. if mratio ever got new emus, maybe utorrent).

SealLion
02.06.09, 04:42
Absolutely, nishant. And that's what we've been discussing too.

Restricting them to the userbase that's here now.

EDIT: And I"m going to hog them all. :D

nextor
02.06.09, 12:45
I think it's great but as stated many times in this thread it's kinda of a problem whom to give the invites to. I wouldn't want to give it to anyone online, atleast not that i know through something torrent related.

SealLion seem to have some great idea going on there =)

anon
02.06.09, 15:22
At least the newer mods should be restricted (e.g. if mratio ever got new emus,

mRatio can still be downloaded from SM.eu.

SealLion
03.06.09, 03:21
I have another idea.

NOw I can't recall if this idea was brought forth before, but I'm going to mention it here.
Forgive me for re-telling an old idea...its just this thread is getting big with over 1300 views already and I can't recall all that';s been discussed and opined.

Suppose new user is allowed into the site;
New invitee has a newly designated title such as 'new member' that'll last for maybe 10-30 days (this number is just arbitrary atm);
During that 10-30 days, 'new user' isn't allowed to download new mods yet;
After the time expires, 'new user' is allowed to download new mods.

Disadvantages: Most obvious the wait time that's been enacted. New user's wouldn't want to come here if they have to firstly, get invited and secondly, have to wait.

Advantages: The board's advantage remains.

Alternate idea of the above:New user wouldn't have access to invite section until he's got about 50 posts or so. IN other words, another waiting time.

would a waiting time be fair just to see what's up in the invite and give-away section when you have invite and trading forums galore out there on the internet??

IDK,...??

slikrapid
03.06.09, 17:06
New user's wouldn't want to come here if they have to firstly, get invited and secondly, have to wait.

oh yes they will - if you really want something you will wait if thats what it takes :biggrin:

until he's got about 50 posts or so. IN other words, another waiting time.

the staff has to see what kind of user it is, if he gives something to the community or just posts nonsense to reach over the limit

- if its a bad user - he will have to go through some trouble to get to the mods :baeh:, actually it could even work therapeutically!
- if its a good user - he won't mind :cool:

would a waiting time be fair just to see what's up in the invite and give-away section when you have invite and trading forums galore out there on the internet??

every forum has some rules, its up to the users to decide whether they will go with or against it, so its a question of choice - its not questionable that the know-how is located right here on this forum and those that want in on such knowledge will know where to go

..its just this thread is getting big with over 1300 views already

true, some staff feedback and thread conclusions/summary might be nice :biggrin:

SealLion
04.06.09, 02:36
I think that you may be right on with some things there, Silky. :biggrin::smile(forgive the pun, eh??)

Anyways....maybe your right with the idea that if someone want's something bad enough, they'll wait.

NOw something struck me after having read this:

the staff has to see what kind of user it is, if he gives something to the community or just posts nonsense to reach over the limit

- if its a bad user - he will have to go through some trouble to get to the mods , actually it could even work therapeutically!
- if its a good user - he won't mind

Now what I'd like to comment on is this:

Instead of some arbitrary number of posts required by the new user, what about this idea which you kind of hit on, Silkrapid.

What about having a base set of regular users that would be interned to assess a new user based NOT on how many number of posts, yet more so on behaviour.

That's close to what you mentioned, Silky.

Maybe not just the moderators, but also a dedicated AND recruited number of users that observe the new user's postings.

That recruited base number of users....there'd be lets say.......5-10 or so...what-ever.....again, that's just an arbitrary number. But this group of people would be recruited to observe and after some time, would PM the staff and give them the go-ahead that this new user can now be further accepted into the board.

You see, you can't put everything onto the moderators, yes??
That's a lot of work that they already do.

And besides, this effort gives other users the ability to contribute even more AND get involved even more, yes???

What do you think, Silky??

Also, let's get some feedback from the rest of the board. There's already about 1500 views to this thread.
Silkrapid is right.
Some feedback would be appreciated.

I mean.....I realize that this thread is gett'in old and people are probably gett'in bored with reading what's here and just don't give a damn anymore.

Quite honestly, I'm getting bored with this thread, too.
And I"ll be the first to admit it, .....BUT...you can't convince me that everyone who views this thread doesn't have an opinion.

It's either an opinion or no opinion.
Which is it for frak's sake??

I mean, what do I have to do??
Post more pics of nice-looking beautiful women??

slikrapid
04.06.09, 18:38
Silky, eh?
its slik, like slicker than your average :tongue:

You see, you can't put everything onto the moderators, yes??
That's a lot of work that they already do.

And besides, this effort gives other users the ability to contribute even more AND get involved even more

well why not, sort of a user behavior monitoring group TM :wink:

what do I have to do??
Post more pics of nice-looking beautiful women??

those were supposed to attract new participants to the discussion and lift the spirits of those who already participated...maybe they weren't explicit enough :wink:

there were many ideas here and we could go on but it would be more efficient to focus on the best ones or those that the staff picks as most promising - like a summary on what's hot and what's not :klatsch_3:

hitman
04.06.09, 19:22
the idea with having a group of members monitoring new members isnt bad at all and would be a good way to have different point of views. that could fit with one of the ideas that we are talking at the moment in the team

SealLion
05.06.09, 03:18
Sliky. You;ll have to pardon me.
I don't think I was wearing my glasses yesterday...actually, when I'm on the computer many times I don't and I think that I read your username incorrect as a result and henceforth throughout the post I made.

Anyways....about the user behaviour group. I"ll tell you one thing here. It shouldn't be a small group of people. It'll have to be sufficiently populated. I was thinking aobut it last night and quite honestly, you can't have a small population of user's monitoring wanna-be regular SBi'er's , yes??

Also, the other thing that comes to mind about this, is accessibility to who the new regular members would be.

In all honesty, I feel that a seperate board for the monitoring group ought to be available and discussions allowed in it re: the behaviour of said wanna bee's.

This baord would be available to only the monitoring group and staff.

A seperate sub-section inside that board would also function to provide info on who's recently

A. joined and is up for a monitoring by the monitoring group and

B. has been acceptable so as to avoid over-communication efforts to staff to permit such-and-such a person into the rest of the board.

Do you see what I mean??

So I hope that this idea would take care of some technicalities re: the above mentnioned idea of mine, should it be utilized.

Now, I have just thought about an addendum to the above expressed idea.

Would it be prudent to have a type of leader ( or leaders) for this behavioural monitoring group??

The reason why I'm expressing this idea is because someone ( or some people) will need to be a leader to make a final judgement on the activity of such-and-such a person.

YOu can't have 10 guys all screaming 'off with his head'.... and the other 10 yelling..."wait...he's my boyfriend or girlfriend...let' em in"

There's got to be some appropriate level of hierarchy and responsibility for communicating the acceptance ( or disaproval) so such-and-such a person.
A final decision ought to be made by someone in charge.

by the way....do I get any candy for these ideas??

anon
08.06.09, 01:10
Everyone, read this:
http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?threadid=12735