PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Doesn’t Want to Sell Music to Pirates

anonftw
01.05.09, 03:45
A music only torrent indexer, Coda.fm stands out from other sites with its clean design and innovative features. One of these features is a link to buy the various albums on Amazon, after downloading them on BitTorrent and enjoying the sample. Surprisingly enough, Amazon objects to getting business this way and has taken action.

Read the rest at TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com/amazon-doesnt-want-to-sell-music-to-pirates-090430/)

Nobody
01.05.09, 03:48
Good story.

On a sidenote, has anyone else noticed how torrentfreak has slowly gone from a somewhat reliable news-source to a predictable, kneejerk, tinfoil-hat wearing group of... well... idiots?

Their TV broadcasters just kind of drive this point home. I mean I fully support their cause--but they'd do a lot better to simply report the news pertaining to the issue. We don't need a doctoral thesis for every article rehashing the same tired old points. We don't need you to point out the irony that Amazon doesn't want a specific type of customer.

anonftw
01.05.09, 03:56
I can definitely understand where you are coming from. Sometimes I feel like I am reading something off the AP wire. I read it mainly for the drama in the comments section. I just found this one interesting because my favorite Music Tracker also links to Amazon and I have bought several albums that way, but they didn't mention it for some reason.

SealLion
01.05.09, 04:47
On a sidenote, has anyone else noticed how torrentfreak has slowly gone from a somewhat reliable news-source to a predictable, kneejerk, tinfoil-hat wearing group of... well... idiots?

I don't know about that too much, I"ve kind of noticed this behaviour with FSF though.

IMHO, I still think that TF is a not-to-bad place to get some kind of news from, though. :smile:

Dynamic
01.05.09, 04:59
I don't know why amazon would do this...it is a business after all.

I was a shareholder long ago and I would not like that decision...

SealLion
01.05.09, 07:03

I was a shareholder long ago and I would not like that decision...

I can imagine b/c your shares made you money each time someone visited Amazon to buy something from there and now that Amazon is particular about it's customers, a person's shares would not be getting the most 'bang for buck'.

That's kind of unfortunate for those shareholders.

Nobody
03.05.09, 00:18
/prediction

The new X-Men Wolverine movie grossed 35 million opening night. I'm waiting for the TorrentFreak article about how the work-print leak didn't damage movie sales.

+1 if they can find some fucked up, convoluted way to say that it improved ticket sales.

+2 if they do that while simultaneously arguing that movie studios should release work prints

anon
03.05.09, 00:23
I'm waiting for the article about how the work-print leak didn't damage movie sales

TF has already done a poll about that, if I remember correctly... :tongue:

Dynamic
03.05.09, 01:09
I think people will go watch it no matter if they have seen it or not...

I for one did not get the workprint because I don't want to spoil it...

I know torrenting is popular but I know of a LOT of people in my circle that dont know what that is...I would say 1 in 80 of my friends knows about it...

It is not hurting their business I tell you!

anonftw
03.05.09, 01:58
For the record, I downloaded the workprint, but decided I would go see it when it comes out instead because I like the series. Now that it is out, my friends all say it sucks, so I will download the DVDrip or R5 when it comes out. LOL

It does seem that TorrentFreak is overloaded on "Piracy Helps the Entertainment Industry" lately, but I tend to share that view. Also, it helps the consumers decide on purchases, as well as the people that are unable to aquire the media by other means, IMO.

Dynamic
03.05.09, 02:03
Wait!!! People says it suck?!!!

oh no! I am so going to spend 30 bucks to watch it...

anonftw
03.05.09, 02:16
Wait!!! People says it suck?!!!

That is just what a few friends that saw it theatrically said. I think someone posted a decent rated here in the rate the latest movie you saw thread though. My source is by no means the authority, just a couple of entertainment elitist nerds. :wink:

SealLion
03.05.09, 05:29
F.....it helps the consumers decide on purchases, as well as the people that are unable to aquire the media by other means, IMO.

Thats for sure. It's the usual: Industry doesn't WANT to recognize this idea,

anon
03.05.09, 18:50
I'm going to watch the full movie too regardless of having downloaded the workprint before. :smile:

Sorry for the off-topic.