PDA

View Full Version : G.E.'s Breakthrough Can Put 100 DVDs on a Disc

anon
28.04.09, 21:28
General Electric says it has achieved a breakthrough in digital storage technology that will allow standard-size discs to hold the equivalent of 100 DVDs.

The storage advance, which G.E. is announcing on Monday, is just a laboratory success at this stage. The new technology must be made to work in products that can be mass-produced at affordable prices.

But optical storage experts and industry analysts who were told of the development said it held the promise of being a big step forward in digital storage with a wide range of potential uses in commercial, scientific and consumer markets.

"This could be the next generation of low-cost storage," said Richard Doherty, an analyst at Envisioneering, a technology research firm.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/technology/business-computing/27disk.html

alpacino
29.04.09, 07:46
Interesting news anon, and I didn't even have the chance to mess with blu-ray discs. I hope they drop prices very soon, BD-R in my area is way too expensive, I can imagine it's expensive everywhre though for the time being.

Mihai
29.04.09, 08:29
I can't even store 100 dvd's on my Pc.Really amayzing.

anon
29.04.09, 19:12
I didn't even have the chance to mess with blu-ray discs.

Me neither :biggrin: And this one is going to be even more expensive when it's publicly released...

Dynamic
29.04.09, 20:26
I hope this will drive down the price on Blu-Ray than...I do think that blu-ray will be use for HD content and this will be used for storage? I mean if this new tech is also for HD than blu-ray will die...

:top: Thanks!