PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon: Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC

anon
27.04.09, 22:01
Windows XP Mode is specifically designed to help small businesses move to Windows 7. Windows XP Mode provides you with the flexibility to run many older productivity applications on a Windows 7 based PC.

All you need to do is to install suitable applications directly in Windows XP Mode which is a virtual Windows XP environment running under Windows Virtual PC. The applications will be published to the Windows 7 desktop and then you can run them directly from Windows 7.

Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC are best experienced on your new Windows 7 PC. We will be soon releasing the beta of Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Coming Soon: Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC - Windows for your Business - The Windows Blog (http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/business/archive/2009/04/24/coming-soon-windows-xp-mode-and-windows-virtual-pc.aspx)

alpacino
27.04.09, 23:53
OMG, even more processor and memory power will be required for this, if I'm not mistaken? Can't they make win xp legacy products native compatible inside Windows 7?

anon
27.04.09, 23:54
OMG, even more processor and memory power will be required for this, if I'm not mistaken?

Yes, virtualization always takes a negative toll on system resources. But at least they've shown to care for backwards compatibility.

anon
30.04.09, 20:26
More on Windows 7's 'XP Mode'

Microsoft on Tuesday offered up a few more details on its once-secretive project to use virtualization to offer an "XP Mode" for Windows 7.

As noted on Friday, Microsoft is using its Virtual PC technology to allow Windows 7 users to run programs that work in Windows XP but not in Windows Vista. On Tuesday, it noted some more of the fine print regarding the product.

As far as technical requirements, XP Mode needs a beefier system than that required to just run Windows 7 or XP alone, including at least 2GB of memory and a system that has chip-level virtualization from either Intel or AMD. One of the challenges is that today it is often not that easy to tell whether one's PC has such support.

"Some PCs have it and some don't," said Scott Woodgate, a director in the Windows unit. "It's not as clear as it should be relative to which PCs have (hardware-based virtualization) support and which don't."

More on Windows 7's 'XP Mode' | Beyond Binary - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10229125-56.html)

dunkendonuts
30.04.09, 20:48
actually sounds interesting to me, might have to get a copy for my laptop so I can run musicmatch jukebox on it.

anon
30.04.09, 20:50
Your laptop will need to have at least 2GB of RAM and a chip-level virtualization capable processor. :eek:

dunkendonuts
30.04.09, 20:54
No.... that isn't fair, lol.! Why can't they just partner with vmware and give everyone a free copy of windows xp, specially designed for windows 7? It'd be alot better, and we could still keep our good ol' xp (even though I've moved to vista).

alpacino
01.05.09, 01:42
As far as technical requirements, XP Mode needs a beefier system than that required to just run Windows 7 or XP alone, including at least 2GB of memory and a system that has chip-level virtualization from either Intel or AMD

Damn, I knew it wouldn't be that easy. And also, we are yet to know about this "chip-level virtualization" capabilites in processors.

I haven't thought about Windows 7 in this manner, but it seems it has a Vista core and stuff? It's just more optimized, is that it?

anon
01.05.09, 23:51
If you google the term, it'd appear no one talked about "chip-level virtualization" before Windows 7 announced XP Mode's need for this feature. :eek:

And yes, I saw a page mentioning how "Vista's kernel evolved into W7's core" :smile:

anon
07.05.09, 18:13
@alpacino: have a look at this (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f69/securable-11616/) - now it's easier to check if your processor supports that feature. :smile:

alpacino
08.05.09, 00:27
Thanks for link and hint anon, unfortunately I'm outdated:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7956/processor.jpg

anon
08.05.09, 00:31
Just checked and mine doesn't, either. Same goes for hardware DEP.

alpacino
08.05.09, 01:09
So I guess, we will have to use multi boot partitions for now. :biggrin:
I never did that before, hope it's not too difficult. I haven't even installed Vista for me up to this point :confused: only for friends PCs.