PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Filtering P2P Traffic - Confirmed!

Stupidhead64
04.11.07, 15:20
Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but apparently the rumors are true! Comcast is filtering users P2P traffic.

The Associated Press has confirmed what some Comcast customers have been claiming; that the company interferes with the flow of P2P uploads on their network. Comcast officials have denied that this practice occurs as recently as August.

Comcast spokesman Charlie Douglas indicated at that time that customers "downloading and sharing video, photos and other rich media" were using their internet service "as intended." His only comment to the AP's new test results was that "Comcast does not block access to any applications, including BitTorrent." Of course blocking uploads hardly blocks access to the program.

Based on Douglas' past comments, this doesn't appear to be a case of ISP censorship, because they don't really seem to care what's being uploaded from their network. They're just trying to sustain high connection speeds for all their customers without adding a lot of additional bandwidth.

Instead of treating file uploads as a nuisance to be stamped out, broadband ISPs might do well to take the opportunity to explore how P2P traffic affects their network, and find optimizations that can help alleviate speed issues with the least amount of financial overhead. With streaming video already gaining a hold and true IPTV applications being marketed to the general public in some areas, it seems like a sure bet that a glut of traffic is coming soon.

ISPs that have long marketed their service for multimedia are finally having that claim put to the test in a serious way. Those that choose to limit customers instead of improving their networks may face an uphill battle staying competitive.

Source: Associated Press

source: Afterdawn (http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/11512.cfm)

shooter69
29.01.08, 19:22
yeah... i think i heard about this before too...

imtony
02.02.08, 21:35
I heard about this...but luckily I dont have comcast lol.

Deezer
09.03.08, 14:41
it's a good thing for all comcast users! :)
unfortunately there are other isp's that do such stuff and limit the download speed - which really takes the joy from downloading.

melody4u
10.04.08, 23:51
Using Protocol Encryption not avoid this "problem"? I remember that in Brazil for NET Virtua users (ISP with 2,4 and 8 mbps) this solve.

BrianBosworth
20.04.08, 14:47
If you're paying for the bandwith, you should be able to use it for whatever purpose you want.

anon
28.04.08, 20:11
i have heard about this too... they send you a RST packet when you start uploading to non-comcast users, and therefore your upload drops to zero and stays there... :confused2:

this a step ahead for comcast users :) but it's just confirming what most people knew :(