PDA

View Full Version : which linux is for recommendation?

xixifrank
12.04.09, 13:57
ubuntu,fedora,opensuse. or some others?

:confused:

stripperu
12.04.09, 16:14
i think that fedora is the best linux

anon
12.04.09, 17:35
If you're new to Linux, I'd recommend Ubuntu.

xixifrank
12.04.09, 18:57
@anon:
yes,I am new to linux. and is Xubuntu the same as ubuntu? CUZ there is something wrong with my PC,i have to use the one bought 6 years ago which only has 256MB memory..
so only Xubuntu can be run easily on it..

anon
12.04.09, 18:58
@anon:
yes,I am new to linux. and is Xubuntu the same as ubuntu?

Ubuntu is the "vanilla" distribution. Xubuntu uses the Xfce desktop manager, which doesn't use as much resources.

6000th post :biggrin:

splicer
12.04.09, 19:07
I too am definitely wanting to try out Linux, but the sheer amount of distros that exist probably turn most potential users away. My friend's EEE came with Ubuntu, but I've always had my mind set on Debian.

The cost of developing Debian 4.0 etch, assuming paid programmers from a single organization and based on source lines of code, has been estimated to be close to US$13,000,000,000.
Source: Debian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_GNU/Linux)

xixifrank
13.04.09, 18:56
what about KDE and GNOME. cuz they pay more attention to GUI than CLI.
I'm new to linux,maybe need some time to be used to it, so, more GUI can let me feel I'm using Win or Mac...

splicer
13.04.09, 19:30
KDE and GNOME aren't Linux distros as such, just desktop environments. You'll definitely need to read up on how to use Linux and Unix Like operating systems at a very basic level - installing programs, compiling as well as commands, as Linux is VERY different to Windows.

Mutter
13.04.09, 20:32
Linux Mint.
Based on Ubuntu but all needed codecs already installed...

splicer
13.04.09, 21:50
Linux Mint.
Based on Ubuntu but all needed codecs already installed...

Codecs aren't the only problem that come about from using a Linux distro... drivers can be a pain, especially ones which are closed-source Windows only ones, and if you are completely new to Linux, installing programs is a challenge.

Se7Ven
13.04.09, 22:35
for me today is fedora i the best linux :wink2:

alpacino
14.04.09, 06:18
I also am willing to try linux, most recommend me Ubuntu :)

Blocker
22.02.10, 19:08
I also am willing to try linux, most recommend me Ubuntu :)

Me too,

I'm between Ubuntu or OpenSUSE

A lot of people use Ubuntu so the support is better than OpenSUSE

But I love the graphics of the second :tongue:

SBfreak
22.02.10, 20:12
Ubuntu is a resource hog sometimes.Xubuntu is no big resource saver either.
You have two alternatives.
1.Lubuntu(still in alpha development) https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-desktop/msg00450.html

Lubuntu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu)
Lubuntu Alpha 2 Released; Gets New Bootsplash, Artwork, File Manager | OMG! Ubuntu! (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/01/lubuntu-alpha-2-gets-new-bootsplash.html)

2.Crunchbang Linux.
CrunchBang Linux - A nimble Openbox Linux distro (http://crunchbanglinux.org/)

Pickle
22.02.10, 20:48
linux mint i recommend for beginner and netbook users. It has nearly all drivers and more flexible than ubuntu.

Instab
22.02.10, 20:55
for a beginner the distro is not so important. get used to the unix style of things and read about the features when you understand them. then is the time to choose a distro fitting your needs/wishes best.

Jerunk
23.02.10, 04:33
Debian or Gentoo :top:

Instab
23.02.10, 04:34
Debian or Gentoo :top:

care to elaborate?

SBfreak
23.02.10, 15:02
care to elaborate?

Debian -- The Universal Operating System (http://www.debian.org/) or Gentoo Linux -- Gentoo Linux News (http://www.gentoo.org/) I think

Instab
24.02.10, 01:23
Debian -- The Universal Operating System (http://www.debian.org/) or Gentoo Linux -- Gentoo Linux News (http://www.gentoo.org/) I think

LOL, i know them. i want to know why he thinks they'd be the best :wink:

Pickle
24.02.10, 03:29
Gentoo is not a wise advice for a beginner.

Instab
24.02.10, 03:33

and why not?

SBfreak
24.02.10, 15:45
There's no such thing as "not recommended to beginners" when it comes to linux.
Every noob will have to learn things the hard way.

LOL, i know them. i want to know why he thinks they'd be the best
Ohh sorry I should've known that lol.You're mac/linux geek:smile:

Pickle
24.02.10, 16:01
Because i have a linux+ certificate.

Instab
24.02.10, 20:14
Ohh sorry I should've known that lol.You're mac/linux geek:smile:

no prob at all.
and i'm not a mac/linux geek but i do get along with them :biggrin:

Because i have a linux+ certificate.

congratulations but i doubt it will help somebody who is reading this thread :rolleyes:

saebrtooth
25.02.10, 04:01
How many distro has everyone tried? Windows is a very comprehensive OS that can be used to write appz, games, play games, write documents, edit and record video and audio. It has all elements of GUI and CLI processing.

Now without regard to if the user is a noooooblet or not or how "hard" or easy to use the distro is, what is the most comprehensive, most able bodied, best of the best distro there is for Linux? Lots of people think of trying it out and how know maybe stay for a while or more.

Some say Federa is cutting edge, well beta more like it of redhat. In your professional opinion what is the best of best. Please dont tell me its according to your tastes. I dont want to comprompise between today I want to edit video and so use this distro. Next day i want to play games aso install that distro. If it cant compete with Windows 7 then Ima sticking to Windows untill Linux can at least cum close.

Opinions?

Instab
25.02.10, 04:13
How many distro has everyone tried? Windows is a very comprehensive OS that can be used to write appz, games, play games, write documents, edit and record video and audio. It has all elements of GUI and CLI processing.

Now without regard to if the user is a noooooblet or not or how "hard" or easy to use the distro is, what is the most comprehensive, most able bodied, best of the best distro there is for Linux? Lots of people think of trying it out and how know maybe stay for a while or more.

Some say Federa is cutting edge, well beta more like it of redhat. In your professional opinion what is the best of best. Please dont tell me its according to your tastes. I dont want to comprompise between today I want to edit video and so use this distro. Next day i want to play games aso install that distro. If it cant compete with Windows 7 then Ima sticking to Windows untill Linux can at least cum close.

Opinions?

one of the major problems of linux for the desktop is the lack of the big player's apps. no matter which distro. (i listed that as a big plus of osx in the other thread therefore)

and if you're into gaming i'm afraid you're bound to win. and btw you won't have a happy gaming life under osx either.
unix and all its offshoots have been designed for professional use so gaming has never been part of the concept.

regarding video, well, that depends on the level you wanna do this on. there are top-notch video solutions for linux in the form of turnkey systems but i doubt that's what you're looking for. but anyway if you're interested just have a look at the so called 'ffi' product family now a part of autodesk: Autodesk - Film - Autodesk Flame (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=10235810)

saebrtooth
25.02.10, 04:56
Arnt there any good emulators for Linux that can handle good Win games? this I think from a normal consumers point of view is the main catch.

Instab
25.02.10, 05:17
Arnt there any good emulators for Linux that can handle good Win games? this I think from a normal consumers point of view is the main catch.

games in an emu? :bäh:
if you wanna play install win on another partition or disk or get a console :tongü:

Pickle
26.02.10, 01:19
congratulations but i doubt it will help somebody who is reading this thread :rolleyes:

Ty, Of course my certificates won't help them but my knowlegde and my posts would help them. That is what happens generally on forums.

Instab
26.02.10, 01:30
my knowlegde and my posts would help them.

and exactly that's what i'm waiting for :biggrin:

Pickle
26.02.10, 01:40
of course you can do that too, waiting.. :)

Instab
26.02.10, 01:44
of course you can do that too

i did. post #16

saebrtooth
26.02.10, 02:04
I think I have learnt a lot from all of you people.

Im definitely a Linux nooblet and reading this thread and all other Linux related threads I have gained from you all

Thank you all :top::klatsch_3:

Instab
26.02.10, 02:20
I think I have learnt a lot from all of you people.

Im definitely a Linux nooblet and reading this thread and all other Linux related threads I have gained from you all

yeah, well, i think the other os related threads are better. not very much info in this one after all.

i think most people voted for ubuntu. and that's not a bad rookie-choice. however ubuntu ain't a linux you will learn much from so the downside is after using ubuntu for a while you're still a rookie unless you're forcing yourself to dig deeper and then you could use more or less any other linux as well ...

---------- Post added at 02:20 ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 ----------

the bright side is that all current major distributions are not exactly difficult so you won't be sucked into a black hole or so no matter which one you choose :tongü:

saebrtooth
26.02.10, 02:22
yup yup yup
I remember my DOS 5.0 days I read the whole manual and not long after all my neighbours were asking me to fix their computers.

Instab
26.02.10, 02:23
yup yup yup
I remember my DOS 5.0 days I read the whole manual and not long after all my neighbours were asking me to fix their computers.

tell me about it :redface: