PDA

View Full Version : Private BitTorrent Trackers Face Credit Crunch

anon
01.04.09, 01:28
The credit crunch has impacted the global financial market and many businesses are struggling to survive the economic downturn. Now, a rare academic publication on private BitTorrent trackers suggests that the same is happening in private BitTorrent communities.

Private BitTorrent Trackers Face Credit Crunch | TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com/private-bittorrent-trackers-face-credit-crunch-090331/)

Even Bram Cohen is against ratios :tongue:

Cheating isn't mentioned in the article; seedboxers that take almost all the chances for normal users to upload away ScT-style are. As far as I know all the talk TF has done about faking is a very brief article about the now super-detectable "add upload with Firefox" method.

kazuya
01.04.09, 01:42
Well don't have personally nothing against ratios,its basically a good idea of keeping good file traffic.if there wouldn't be ratios then also there would be just a few seeders maybe none.i am more for better speeds that our ISP's should offer,same download and upload speeds for instance

anon
01.04.09, 01:44
Well don't have personally nothing against ratios

Me neither, they're what keeps private torrents fast and well-seeded.

The problem resides on how to keep a good one when your upload speed isn't the best and you're surrounded by seedboxes - i.e. what the TF article is about.

Fingertip
01.04.09, 01:52
You do realize how close it is to 1 April, right? Think about that for a second.

anon
01.04.09, 01:53
That came up in the article comments as well, but it shouldn't prevent a serious discussion from taking place. :tongue:

kazuya
01.04.09, 01:54
The problem resides on how to keep a good one when your upload speed isn't the best and you're surrounded by seedboxes - i.e. what the TF article is about.

Well only one way,come to SB innovation,arm your self and show those seedboxes who is the Dady:tongue:

anon
01.04.09, 01:54
Yes - that should work. :wink:

SealLion
01.04.09, 04:02
awwe...poo poo. :frown:

No more money for Saturday night beer 'drink-a-thon's'

awwe....:frown:

Ya. I guess even those guys suffer from the current market concerns, yes??
In their case, they just won't collect as many 'donations' as before for their supposed needs.

Which tracker admin was it who had his site hacked (among other things) last year b/c it was discovered that he was misappropriating funds for his personal use. Can't remember right now.... I think it was the guy from SuperTorrents, yes??

And after that??.............The universe laughed behind his back.

Now I'm not too sure what went wrong, … but it was probably his fault.:biggrin:

You see....Sarcasm helps keep you from telling people what you really think of them.

EDIT: I'm an advanced user now: Advanced in sarcastic remarks :biggrin:

anon
01.04.09, 05:05
Which tracker admin was it who had his site hacked (among other things) last year b/c it was discovered that he was misappropriating funds for his personal use. Can't remember right now.... I think it was the guy from SuperTorrents, yes??

Yes, it was Ersan from SuperTorrents. From what I've heard he either made fun of, or racist comments about Sikhs, so a hacker group cracked his predb, transferred all the tracker's donation money to another site, deleted his GMail account, cancelled all his seedboxes...

Look for the following scene notices if you want to know more:

SuperTorrents.Got.Owned.Ersan.Got.Raped.TOTALOWNAG E.READ.NFO-CELLKILL
SuperTorrents.Got.Owned.Ersan.Got.Raped.TOTALOWNAG E.READ.NFO.PART.2-CELLKILL

SealLion
01.04.09, 05:55
Yup. that was the one. Now I remember.

But then he didn't misappropriate tracker funds.

anon
01.04.09, 07:09
Oh yes, he did - by using donations to buy a Lexus IS300. :biggrin:

Although according his reply to the first notice, it was for his dad.

SealLion
01.04.09, 07:51
well, anon. I guess I was wrong about that not-so-sharp boy.

However, it never will surprise me to hear that there's some private torrent admin who misappropriates tracker funds to serve his benefit.

I wouldn't be surprised that one of these days, some news is gonna come out that someone, somewhere misappropriates private tracker funds for some 'ahhh.....OMG!!!' misappropriation that won't be looked kindly upon by its userbase.

Nevertheless. With respect to the original topic. People do become unemployed due to the current market concerns, yes??

Well, you can't really blame pple for thier lack of donations to the tracker of their choosing.

People loose money from their market investments as well. And pple have to make judgements based on where their money is best served.

Also. I don't think that donations to trackers are tax deductible. If they ever were, maybe that would move a small minority to donate.....but that's just a guess on my part.

Even so. Very few goverments in the West, if any at all are going to make such donations tax deductible.......for obvious reasons. IF they did, it would demonstrate compliance on a government of its involvement into 'piracy', yes??

but that's just wishful thinking for anyone who would donate money to their tracker of their choosing. That'll never happen.

Still. Overall, one can;'t blame pple for their lack of donating, you know??
So yes. of course trackers are also feeling the effects of the global market concerns.

Having said that, I 'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that people going to Blockbuster are going to buy less and less DVD's etc..... Including going to the local music shop to buy what-ever CD's they want.

I think that more people are going to download more from torrent sites, keep the material that they want and fore go purchasing CD's from the store......people need to save money.

And so their going to not spend any money on what they downloaded b/c of their current, if not previous belief, that in supporting the artist, the best way to demonstrate that support is to purchase the artist's material.

Their not going to practice such behaviour any longer.

You know what I mean??

anon
02.04.09, 01:51
Even so. Very few goverments in the West, if any at all are going to make such donations tax deductible.......for obvious reasons. IF they did, it would demonstrate compliance on a government of its involvement into 'piracy', yes??

Yes, that's right - if governments made tracker donations tax-deductible, they'd definitely being supporting "copyright infringement".

I think one of the reasons a lot of people don't donate is because the main reason they got inside the tracker in the first place is getting stuff for free.