PDA

View Full Version : how to solve FF CPU problem?

xixifrank
29.03.09, 16:00
FireFox always occupies much memory,CPU... about 100+MB...

any settings or methods to solve this problem? It's too much.......

splicer
29.03.09, 16:33
My FF process is currently taking up about 50MB. This can vary greatly though depending on what I am doing, so generally, keep the number of tabs to a small amount. Minimise the use of add-ons/plug-ins, as well as avoiding activites which increas the size of the process, i.e. video streaming, playing Java games.

Other than that I can't offer much more advice. Perhaps Google is your friend?

xixifrank
29.03.09, 16:57
Google is your friend?

I havent tried Chrome yet...:wink:
It's said to have back-door, collecting user information and update...
SRWARE IRON is borned because of that...

Chrome is a kid,maybe need more time..

SealLion
29.03.09, 18:18
xixi; firstly, have a look here:

Problematic extensions - MozillaZine Knowledge Base (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions)

secondly, you may want to browse here:

firefox high cpu usage - Google Search (http://www.google.ca/search?q=firefox+high+cpu+usage&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

anon
29.03.09, 22:43
FireFox always occupies much memory,CPU... about 100+MB...

Go to about:config. Make sure the following variables are set like this:

config.trim_on_minimize = true. It can half Firefox's memory usage when minimized.
browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers = 0
browser.cache.memory.capacity - this is the size of the memory cache in kilobytes. You should play around with it until you find the balance between extra disk reads (small values) and increased RAM usage (big values). 1MB = 1024KB.
nglayout.initialpaint.delay = 0

Take a look at all your installed addons, and reconsider which ones you really need. Adblock Plus is more optimized than Adblock, and IETab increases the memory usage by loading the Trident rendering engine.

Disable Java. Even if you don't usually browse sites that need it, a Flash technology called Live Connect can unnecessarily load the Java VM.

I havent tried Chrome yet...:wink:

I think splicer was talking about using Google to search for a solution to your problem. :tongue:

xixifrank
30.03.09, 06:57
what do "browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers" and "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" mean?

I'm using notebook and find that the touch pad's scroll doesnt work, but can work in IE...:frown:
Does that mean I should install another DRIVE or another setting??
or...the worst condition,FireFox has a conflict with touch pad's scrolll.... If someone wants to scroll,mouse is the only choice..

anon
30.03.09, 18:41
what do "browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers" and "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" mean?

browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers

Pages that were recently visited are stored in memory in such a way that they don't have to be re-parsed (this is different from the memory cache). This improves performance when pressing Back and Forward.

This preference limits the maximum number of pages stored in memory.

nglayout.initialpaint.delay

Mozilla applications render web pages incrementally - they display what's been received of a page before the entire page has been downloaded. Since the start of a web page normally doesn't have much useful information to display, Mozilla applications will wait a short interval before first rendering a page. This preference controls that interval.

I'm using notebook and find that the touch pad's scroll doesnt work, but can work in IE...:frown:
Does that mean I should install another DRIVE or another setting??
or...the worst condition,FireFox has a conflict with touch pad's scrolll.... If someone wants to scroll,mouse is the only choice..

Weird problem indeed. But you can always click inside Firefox's window and press the spacebar or PgDn, I did this when my mousewheel broke.

Aurion
05.04.09, 00:50
I think anon mentioned some really useful tips in keeping FireFox's memory usage to the minimum,but still you might want to check a tool called "FireFix Preloader" that actually loads FireFox on every startup from your RAMs but injecting FF's cache into the ram to reduce time spent in opening a new page & also prevent wasting extra ram sessions.

anon
05.04.09, 00:52
Firefox Preloader is to load Firefox faster every time you run it, but there should be no reason for it to decrease CPU usage - and it will of course actually increase RAM usage.

Aurion
05.04.09, 00:57
ooh,CPU usage maybe yes,but I wasn't refering to it anyway.And about RAM usage,I didn't feel it doing so every time I start up my PC,it takes a few seconds to open up a new FireFox page only the first time,but when I check my status tab,RAM usage is quite reduced tho.

maybe,it actually increases RAM usage on low-end PCs.

anon
05.04.09, 00:59
maybe,it actually increases RAM usage on low-end PCs.

And high-end ones as well, by keeping a firefox.exe instance with the whole browser engine loaded open all the time.

Maybe RAM usage wasn't so high for you because of having applied other tweaks... I have set my Firefox never to write to disk, and keep cache, cookies, etc. in memory at all times, and it doesn't go higher than 100MB. :cool:

Aurion
14.04.09, 20:56
I have set my Firefox never to write to disk, and keep cache, cookies, etc. in memory at all times, and it doesn't go higher than 100MB. :cool:

This is quite good man,maybe you might want to tell me steps to applying that :biggrin:

anon
14.04.09, 21:03
Set Firefox not to remember your history, forms and search bar queries, downloads or passwords for sites, and clear private data when closing. Then go to about:config, and set the following values like this:

browser.cache.disk.capacity = 0
browser.cache.disk.enable = false
browser.cache.offline.enable = false

browser.cache.memory.enable = true
browser.cache.memory.capacity = 61440 - that's 60MB. You can set it higher, but Firefox will use more RAM.

Restart the browser. You may want to install the Cache Status addon to make sure nothing is being written to disk: the second indicator should always stick at "Not Loaded Yet".

mmmmm
20.02.10, 17:05
Go to about:config. Make sure the following variables are set like this:
[LIST]
config.trim_on_minimize = true

browser.cache.memory.capacity - this is the size of the memory cache in kilobytes. You should play around with it until you find the balance between extra disk reads (small values) and increased RAM usage (big values). 1MB = 1024KB.

they aren't here (not found) right click and add them under (string or integer or boolean)also if i add wrong one and want to delete the whole line what can i do?

Peace Be With You

anon
20.02.10, 17:13
they aren't here (not found) right click and add them under (string or integer or boolean)

config.trim_on_minimize is a boolean, browser.cache.memory.capacity is an integer.

if i add wrong one and want to delete the whole line what can i do?

Open the prefs.js file in your Firefox profile folder and remove the offending line. :smile: